Pharmacy benefit manager Express Scripts announced Dec. 12 the creation of a formulary to increase provider trust in and patient access to digital and mobile health apps and devices, including those from Livongo, Propeller Health and more.
Here are five things to know about the Express Scripts Digital Health Formulary, which launches in January 2020:
1. Each digital and mobile solution included is reviewed by a team of experts in a four-stage process, testing for clinical effectiveness, user experience, security and privacy compliance, and value and affordability.
2. Of the more than 70 digital health products reviewed for the formulary’s first cohort, the 15 chosen include Omada Health, SilverCloud Health, Propeller Health and Livongo, the latter of which will have “preferred” status. The selected products offer remote monitoring and digital therapeutics to help manage common chronic conditions, such as diabetes, pulmonary disease, depression and insomnia.
3. Health plans and employers can opt in to providing access to the formulary. Patients who use one or more of the included digital health tools will be guided through their appropriate usage by Express Scripts specialist pharmacists.
4. “It’s our job to find the rightdigital health solutions for our clients and patients, and then make sure patients use these solutions effectively,” said Mark Bini, Express Scripts’ chief patient experience officer. “With the Express Scripts Digital Health Formulary, we’ve created more than just a list of approved programs or a vendor management process. We built a foundation for the future of care and pharmacy that will deliver better access, affordability and health.”
5. CVS Health launched a similar program earlier this year, though the CVS Caremark PBM currently offers clients access to just one digital health tool: Sleepio, an insomnia treatment app.
More articles on health IT:
4 things to know about Zeppelin, a ransomware targeting healthcare organizations
Amazon has free rein to NHS data & 15 other health IT notes
50 hospital C-level execs share advice, innovations, 2020 predictions and more
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2019. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.